The following resources are intended to help support your assessment needs. They range from templates and tools useful for assessment work at UCR to outside resources that can help you gain more insight into assessment.
The UCR Assessment Handbook is meant as a guide to help programs move through the entire assessment process associated with the completion of the Annual Program-Level Assessment Report. Using the handbook, the resources on this page, participating in workshops, and collaborating with others is the best way to make the assessment process meaningful.
Program Assessment Timelines
With multiple parts to the assessment process, managing each step can take some time. Consider the following to help you plan out your program's annual assessment for long-term success.
- The following can help you see the big picture for program-level assessment. Program-Level Assessment Timeline Overview
- The following is a much more detailed version where you can see how the assessment of program-level student outcomes can be broken up over time. Program-Level Assessment Timeline Detailed
- The following will help you plan out your long-term program-level assessment. Program-Level Assessment Planning
Creating Student Outcomes can be challenging, but not impossible with a little time and patience. Consider the following resources to help you create student outcomes at the Course or Program level.
Student Experience/Curriculum Map
Creating a Student Experience Map is a great way to map student outcomes to the experiences (courses, labs, fieldwork, research, internships, projects, displays, etc.) that help students achieve outcomes. The following are a few things to help you create your own for your program:
- Undergraduate Programs
- Student Experience Map Template with Core Competencies
- Student Experience Map Example with Core Competencies
- Student Experience Map Instructions
- Graduate Programs
- Undergraduate Programs
Annual Program Assessment
Annually, all programs are required to assess, and report on, one Program-Level Student Outcome. Below, you will find the report templates and example reports.
- Undergraduate Program - Level Annual Assessment Report Template
- Graduate Program - Level Annual Assessment Report Template
All programs must submit their Annual Assessment Reports using the online tool. Annual Assessment Report Submission Tool
- A valuable resource are the American Association of Colleges and Universities' VALUE Rubrics. They were created and tested by faculty across the country. You can find out more about them, click on the following AAC&U Value Rubrics. You can also download them directly from our site in PDF Format and an Editable Word Format.
- You can also download a vast assortment of rubrics from all levels or create your own at iRubric.
UC Assessment Resources
The following UC campus web sites provide extensive resources on student learning outcome assessment, with templates, sample learning outcomes, best practices, and detailed how-to guides.
National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA)
Established in 2008, the mission of the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA) is to discover and disseminate ways that academic programs and institutions can productively use assessment data internally to inform and strengthen undergraduate education, and externally to communicate with policy makers, families and other stakeholders.
WASC 2013 Handbook of Accreditation
Newly revised, the WASC 2013 Handbook provides a broad overview of accreditation process and the larger context for the institutional mandate of assessing student learning.